In the second section are some specifics about e-hygiene and reducing first- and secondhand exposures and electromagnetic footprints at home. There are many others. Hopefully, this list will also be a springboard for you to consider what else might help in your home environment and elsewhere.
COMMON SYMPTOMS of ELECTROMAGNETIC SENSITIVITY
· Memory, concentration problems
· Headache, pressure in the head
· Tinnitus (buzzing/ringing in the ears)
· Difficulty sleeping, low quality of sleep, melatonin reduction
· Myelin sheath nerve damage
· Digestive problems
· Tingling sensations, or tremors, sudden nerve sensations (spasm / heat)
· Adrenal fatigue, thyroid problems (weight gain or loss)
· Hormone changes, menopause-like symptoms
· Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
· Dizziness, vertigo
· Heart palpitations, low or high blood pressure
· Numbness, pain in joints, muscles (fibromyalgia)
· Eyes dry or irritated, worsening vision, or floaters
· Red skin blotches, eczema, body swelling
· Depression, anxiety
· Poor blood sugar regulation (Diabetes harder to control/ increased insulin required)
· Immune abnormalities
· Asthma, shortness of breath
· Dehydration of body
· Sore feet (esp. getting out of bed), plantar fasciitis
· Bulging veins in hands when exposed
Studies show direct links to these conditions as well:
Cancers (brain tumours, leukemia, breast, thyroid and salivary gland, etc.), DNA strand breakage, autism, mitochondrial dysfunction, nerve damage, Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, Alzheimer’s Disease
THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP REDUCE EXPOSURES in YOUR HOME
- Replace cordless phones with corded models (cordless base stations broadcast radiation even when the phone is not in use, older 900 MHz analog cordless phones do turn off between calls but still emit radiation when in use).
- Instead of using wi-fi and other wireless connections use wired options and turn off wireless features (use of a DLAN system that sends Internet signal through your electrical system wiring instead of emitting wireless radiation helps some people but does generate other undesirable EM radiation, so cords/cables are safer than DLAN).
- Choose wired for security systems, rain gauges for sprinkler systems, and other environmental monitoring.
- Completely power off cell phones when you sleep and when not use—the phone “talks” to the network towers even when the phone is not in use. You and bystanders are exposed to the radiation that is this continuous “talk.”
- Distance cell phones away from your head and body, use speaker phone or a hollow tube earpiece.
- Avoid using a cell phone and other wireless devices in a car or any contained metal area (train, bus, elevator, subway, airplane, etc.) or in weak signal areas. In all those limited areas, the phone boosts power to connect, so it gives off more radiation; as well, the signal reflecting off the metal of the vehicle/elevator increases your exposure. When inside a car use an external antenna.
- Request an RF-emissions always off (or fewer emissions) electricity meter from your local hydro company, or a meter wired through the phone line might help some people. Request this for water and gas meters as well. Get agreement that your old meter will be restored if the new meter is worse. Shield RF-emitting meters until they are changed; talk to a building biologist to do this.
- Dispose of your microwave oven. They all leak high levels of microwave radiation after they are a few weeks old.
- Unplug wireless games when not in use, as some of them broadcast radiation all the time, even when not in use.
- Disable wireless on laptops, computers, printers, e-readers when not in use—they broadcast radiation constantly. Replace your wireless accessories with wired models: keyboard, mouse, speakers, microphone, etc.
- Do not use compact fluorescent or any low-voltage lighting technologies.
- DVD players/VCRs, electric clock-radios/alarm clocks, stereo systems, heating pads, electric blankets, lamps, and waterbeds must be unplugged to cease electric and magnetic field emissions. Before sleeping, remove or unplug electronic devices located in the sleeping areas. To largely reduce your exposure to these fields, turn off circuit breakers to your bedroom and adjacent rooms or have a demand switch installed by an electrician.
- Distance wireless devices and appliances away from all children. They will have a much longer and earlier lifetime exposure than we did and so they could be more prone to health challenges because of this radiation exposure.
- Before committing to or proceeding with repairs, replacements, or upgrades of any systems in your home — such as phone, Internet, furnace, wiring, appliances, and many others — try to pre-arrange that it will be possible to undo the change without delay and without prohibitive cost to you, if something about the change unexpectedly worsens the electromagnetic fields in your home.